Note : Before you proceed with the following instructions, back up the database. If your organization integrates multiple Blackbaud products, refer to the Additional Requirements section of the backup article.
Carefully read all of the instructions listed below before proceeding. If you are new to importing, also refer to How to import - the basics of importing (BB135422).
- Create a data file or use an existing file.
View a sample data file (StudentCourseRequestsUpdate.csv), which updates the request for Biology Lab in 2004-2005 for Deborah Jones with a requested teacher in the sample database. You may need to widen the columns to view all of the information in a column.
You can save the file in any delimited format or in fixed length. However, the sample data file is in CSV format.
- Include the following fields in your import data file (for a sample file, which includes all of these fields, refer to step 1 above). If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
Include the following fields in the data file:
Note:**The Requested field will have a value of Yes for all course requests. **The Course import ID field is blank, when adding course requests.
Note: In Excel, use Text as the column type for Student Import ID or Course Import ID. Otherwise, Excel drops the leading zeros.
Student Import ID, Course Import ID**, Course ID, Academic Year, Session, Start Term, Priority, School, Requested**, Teacher, Student Course Alternate Alternate Course ID, Student Course Alternate Alternate Start Term, Student Course Alternate Alternate School,Student Course Alternate Alternate Priority
NOTE: Student Import ID must be used for this import. For more information about Import IDs, please see What is an Import ID and how to find it?
- If necessary, include other fields in the data file that are available for this import type.
- Import the data file using the following parameters:
General Tab: File Layout Tab: Fields Tab:
In the Import these fields frame, verify that all rows in the Field to Import column are correctly mapped to the corresponding education software field in the Import Field column.
We recommend marking all available checkboxes. At the very least, mark the Create control report option
- Import Type: Student, Student Course
- What do you want to do?: Import New Records
- What file to you wish to import? Browse to the import file
- Student Course Import ID will be used to match records in the import file with existing records
- What is the format of this import file? Delimited
- Field Separators and Text Qualifiers: Comma, Quotation
- Import Field Names: Field names are on the first line of the import file
- Sample Import Format: Verify the first few rows of the import file
- We recommend that in Course Request Business Rules, that the has already requested course this year checkbox under exceptions be marked to prevent unwanted duplicate requests getting added to the student
- Exceptions marked in Business rules to be checked are automatically overridden when importing
- Course requests that correspond to business rules are automatically added as requests when importing