In order to log into a database, a user license must be available.
- If a user has timed out of the application due to inactivity, the database license will remain used until the user exit and signs out of the solution.
- If your organization uses both Financial Edge (FE) and Education Edge (EE) or Blackbaud Student Information System (BBSIS), users with access to both solutions will use two licenses. For more information and how to only use a single user license, refer to How are user licenses shared between The Financial Edge and The Education Edge or Blackbaud Student Information System?
To free up a user license to allow a user to log into the solution:
- Have another user Exit and Sign Out of the application.
- Disconnect a user from the Blackbaud Management Console (BMC).
- Purchased additional user licenses to prevent the need to wait for a license to become available or disconnecting users.
Click your product below for the steps to find the current number of licenses for your database:
If you are receiving this error as an NXT client you will need to have the unlimited user licenses unlocked. Please create a case providing the following information:
- serial number of your database (can be found from by going to Help > About within the database view)
If your database is hosted by Blackbaud Hosting Services: Blackbaud Hosting Services automatically disconnects inactive users from the database after 60 minutes of inactivity, which will free up any database license(s) taken by that user.
If Blackbaud hosts your data, and you need a user disconnected, please Contact Support and reference this article. The Connection Viewer in a hosted application may not accurately display the connected users that are using licenses. For more information, refer to Users are missing in Database Connection Viewer