Soft Credit Gifts To:
- Donor - The person who actually gave the gift gets the credit. The gift is not included for any soft credit recipient (gift fields or summary total fields).
- Soft credit recipients - The amount is included for the person who received the soft credit (gift fields or summary total fields). Even if the hard credit donor is in the Export results, the amount will only show up for the listed soft credit recipient(s) on the gift.
- Credited to Both - The amount is credited to the donor and soft credit recipient(s) listed on the gift. It will apply to gift fields and summary field totals.
Credit Matching Gifts To:
- Donor - The matching gift amount is included in the total amount for the individual donor.
- MG Company - The matching gift amount is included in the total for the company who matched the gift
- Both - The matching gift amount is included in the total for both the individual donor and the matching gift company for the gift.
Notes on Soft Credit Recipient vs Both and Matching Gift Both:
All of the following are general rules assuming that any associated queries / filters are allowing everyone and all their gifts to come through. It's possible that a query or export setting can affect the final results.
- In a constituent Export, using Soft Credit Recipient / Both or Matching Gift Both on gift fields/summary fields does not add rows to the Export. These settings just tell the Export how to handle gifts for that constituent on their record / row in the Export. However, if the gifts / summary fields are going to be added up (to find a grand total using Excel, for example) then totals maybe inflated due to gifts being shown in multiple rows. BUT, if there is a constituent query on the Export and it contains gift criteria, that may add rows. Check the soft credit options and matching gift options in Query because those settings affect which rows are selected.
- In a gift Export, using Soft Credit Recipient may generate more rows to the Export if there are two or more soft credit recipients on the gift.
- In a gift Export, using Both for Soft Credits generates two or more rows: just one for the hard credit and one or more for any soft credit recipients on the gift.
- In a gift Export, using Both for Matching Gifts generates two rows: one for the Donor and one for the Matching Gift Company.